Foreign Influence in Research

Several federal agencies have started to issue information and guidance concerning undue foreign influence on federally funded research.  In particular, agency communications have centered around the following issues: 

  • Disclosure of research support
  • Diversion of intellectual property 
  • Sharing of confidental information by application peer reviewers 
  • Participation in foreign talent recruitment programs 

This issue continues to evolve.  Related faculty responsibilities under University of Arizona policies and sponsor regulations are outlined below, and will be updated as additional information becomes available. 

UA Guidance 

September Administrator Forum recording(select NetID from the drop-down to login)   Powerpoint Slides

 Disclosing Foreign Support, Interests, Collaboration 

  • REPORT all research support, including foreign support, in accordance with sponsor requirements at the proposal stage, and in progress reports. 

Any payment, reimbursement, travel support or other compensation, of any amount, that you have received or will receive, from a foreign entity must be disclosed as an Outside Interest in your COI disclosure.  

You must submit a Conflict of Commitment form to your department head and dean for approval of all collaborations with a foreign entity.  All collaborations related to your professional expertise that are outside of recognized institutional activities or agreements (e.g., personal consulting, unauthorized or unofficial collaborations, etc.) require an approved Conflict of Commitment form.  

  • FOLLOW the sponsor’s prior approval requirements for a foreign collaboration/components, and engage Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services for assistance.  


Export Controls 

International Travel 

Visiting Scholars 

Intellectual Property  

  • University intellectual property (e.g., materials, reserach results, databases/sets, potentially pantentable inventions, copyrights, etc.) may not be share with any institution or entity without an official agreement between the University and that entity authorizing such transfer approved by the IP Official or their designee.  For outgoing transfers, contact Tech Launch Arizona.  For questions about data use agreements, contact the HIPAA Privacy Officer. For Incoming transfers, confidentiality agrements, and data use agreements, contact Sponsored Projects & Contracting Services or UAHS Contracting.   


Other Relevant Policies/Procedures

 Agency-Specific Information 

National Institutes of Health (NIH) 

National Science Foundation (NSF)

Department of Defense (DOD) 

 Department of Energy (DOE)