Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) and the Office of Research Contracts (ORC), units of Research, Innovation & Impact (RII), assists the University of Arizona research community in its efforts to secure external funding by providing high quality administrative, contracting and financial services to ensure proper stewardship of those funds and to minimize the risk to university resources. Our mission is to support and enhance the University’s reputation while working to achieve strategic goals with broad services in the following areas: Proposal Development and Submission, Contracting, Postaward Management and Administrative Guidance.
Sponsored Projects Services is responsible for assisting faculty and staff with proposals and guidance on the financial and administrative management of grants and contracts and training on research administration topics. SPS is an experienced resource for faculty and staff who engage in research and scholarly activities, and who work to advance the University’s strategic goals through externally supported projects and programs. Responsibilities include the following functions, activities, and services:
Sponsored Projects Services:
- Aid in interpreting application guidelines and sponsor requirements
- Review proposals, ensuring budgets are appropriate and application forms are complete and correct
- Manage electronic application submission processes
- Ensure proposals meet UA approval requirements
- Provide institutional approval for all proposal submissions
- Track proposal submissions, awards, rejections and resubmissions
- Receipt and tracking of awards
- Establish sponsored awards and accounts in UAccess Research and UAccess Financials
- Complete invoicing and financial reporting requirements
- Provide cash management services
- Offer expert guidance and advice on expenditure allowability
- Manage closeout of awards
- Aid in effort reporting and documenting cost sharing/matching funds
- Assist with equipment purchases and complete required equipment reporting
- Coordinate and assist with external audits and internal reviews
- Serve faculty and staff as a resource for information about seeking, obtaining and managing sponsored projects and related internal processes
- Assist in interpreting sponsor and institutional policies and regulations
Training & Development
- Provide faculty and staff development workshops and training on research administration
- Facilitate and moderate a monthly Research Administration (RA) Forum to provide timely information on relevant research administration topics
- Administer and maintain institutional LevelUP program for modular research administration learning and development.
- Develop and implement training resources for campus on UArizona sponsored research systems and processes.
- Coordinate campus requests for training in specific topics or areas.
Office of Research Contracts:
- Aid in interpreting terms and conditions as well as sponsor requirements in grants and contracts
- Negotiate contract terms and conditions with sponsors
- Provide institutional signature for all award documents
- Offer guidance at each stage of the subaward lifecycle to include proposal, issuance, management, and closeout
- Draft and negotiate subawards at subaward initiation
- Draft and negotiate subaward modifications
- Manage closeout of subawards
- Complete regular and ongoing subaward compliance checks and monitoring activities
Relationships to Other Offices
- SPS and ORC work closely with the Office of the General Counsel, Research, Innovation & Impact (RII), the UA Foundation, Technology Transfer Arizona, Financial Services and other offices as needed in the negotiation of award terms and conditions
- SPS and ORC cooperates with the UA Foundation on charitable grants that require greater financial management than gifts. The UA Foundation works to advance the University of Arizona by building relationships, securing philanthropic support and stewarding assets.
- SPS and ORC collaborates with Financial Services to streamline accounting internal control procedures and provide better services in grant account management
- SPS an ORC coordinates with Research Compliance on audits and investigations