Foreign Influence in Research

Several federal agencies have started to issue information and guidance concerning undue foreign influence on federally funded research.  In particular, agency communications have centered around the following issues: 

  • Disclosure of research support
  • Diversion of intellectual property 
  • Sharing of confidential information by application peer reviewers 
  • Participation in foreign talent recruitment programs 

This issue continues to evolve.  Related faculty responsibilities under University of Arizona policies and sponsor regulations are outlined below, and will be updated as additional information becomes available. 

UA Guidance 

September Administrator Forum recording(select NetID from the drop-down to login)   Powerpoint Slides

 Disclosing Foreign Support, Interests, Collaboration 

  • REPORT all research support, including foreign support, in accordance with sponsor requirements at the proposal stage, and in progress reports. 
  • DISCLOSE outside interests, including travel for NIH and DOE sponsored researchers, in the UA's Disclosure System, as required by the UA’s Conflict of Interest & Commitment Policy.  
    • Any payment, reimbursement, travel support or other compensation, of any amount, that you have received or will receive, from a foreign entity must be disclosed as an Outside Interest in your COI disclosure.  
  • DISCLOSE other professional activities, including affiliations, as required by the UA’s Conflicts of Interest & Commitment Policy.  
  • FOLLOW the sponsor’s prior approval requirements for a foreign collaboration/components, and engage Sponsored Projects Services for assistance.  


Export Controls 

International Travel 

Visiting Scholars 

Intellectual Property  

  • University intellectual property (e.g., materials, research results, databases/sets, potential pantented inventions, copyrights, etc.) may not be share with any institution or entity without an official agreement between the University and that entity authorizing such transfer approved by the IP Official or their designee.  For outgoing transfers, contact Tech Launch Arizona.  For questions about data use agreements, contact the HIPAA Privacy Officer. For Incoming transfers, confidentiality agreements, and data use agreements, contact Sponsored Projects Services or UAHS Contracting.   


Other Relevant Policies/Procedures

 Agency-Specific Information 

National Institutes of Health (NIH) 

National Science Foundation (NSF)

Department of Defense (DOD) 

 Department of Energy (DOE) 

Subscribe to the UArizona Impact in Action newsletter to receive featured stories and event info to connect you with UArizona's research, innovation, entrepreneurial ventures, and societal impacts.

Subscribe now