Jump to section:
Transfers to Another University
Awards are issued to the University, not to individual principal investigators. Therefore, if a principal investigator leaves the University, the Department Head/Director/Dean may decide whether to nominate a replacement PI and retain the award, or permit a relinquishment and transfer of the award. See Award Transfer Process for information and procedures.
Gift funds and fixed price complete residual funds are considered University funds and are not available for transfer to the new institution.
Transferring a sponsored project into the University of Arizona is similar to accepting a new award. Follow these steps to initiate the process:
- The principal investigator must confirm that both the granting agency and the former institution are aware that the investigator is leaving that institution.
- The principal investigator must confirm that both the granting agency and the former institution have granted approval to transfer/relinquish the sponsored project.
- The principal investigator should provide contact information for the granting agency program officer and the former institution grant administrator to Sponsored Projects Services (SPS).
- Sponsored Projects Services will review the granting agency's policy regarding transfers and follow their procedures. If the granting agency does not have a published grant transfer policy, SPS may need to contact the sponsor program officer directly, using contact information provided by the PI.
- The principal investigator will coordinate with SPS and:
- Identify remaining project objectives to be completed at the University of Arizona
- Calculate the remaining account balance that will be transferred from the former institution
- Complete a formal proposal in UAccess Research for the transfer amount
- Financial Services Office provides incoming Equipment Transfer Policies and Procedures.
See the Transfer Equipment from a Former Institution section of the Property Administration page for information on transferring equipment.
What happens if the previous institution will not relinquish the award?
Granting agencies make awards to institutions, not to individuals. The University of Arizona cannot request an award transfer if the previous institution will not agree to transfer the award.
Change of Principal Investigator
The principal investigator for a sponsored project can change for many reasons, including personal issues or when the investigator leaves the University of Arizona without the authority to transfer a grant. The sponsor agency must approve of this project change. The mechanism or requirement for sponsor approval varies depending on the terms of and conditions of a particular award. The department head, dean, or business manager should contact Sponsored Projects Services to understand the appropriate procedures for changing the principal investigator on a specific award.
See the Project Changes page for making significant changes to a principal investigator's effort level.
See the Principal Investigator Eligibility page for understanding the criteria of who can be designated as a new principal investigator when making this change.