NIDDK encourages the submission of applications for Competitive Revisions to active grants to address the following research areas of interest:
- Collection of biosamples that could yield pathophysiologic insights into the impact of COVID-19 on HIV-associated CCCs within the mission of the NIDDK; especially those related to the gastrointestinal, liver, renal/urological, and metabolic/endocrine systems.
- Studies to gather data from health care systems and ongoing cohort studies to elucidate whether PWH with CCCs within the mission of the NIDDK have different COVID-19 outcomes.
- Studies that utilize nonhuman primate or ex vivo human models to characterize the effect of HIV-SARS-CoV-2 coinfection on gastrointestinal, liver, renal/urological, and metabolic/endocrine systems and processes.
- Studies to elucidate how HIV and SARS-CoV-2 coinfection impacts kidney or liver damage severity mediated by antiretroviral drugs.
- Pilot clinical studies designed to understand the natural history of COVID-19 related to either provoking or exacerbating HIV-associated CCCs within the mission of NIDDK, or to evaluate strategies for preventing or treating HIV-associated CCCs within the mission of NIDDK in the context of SARS-CoV-2 coinfection.