Sanctions and Embargos

Embargoed and Sanctioned Countries

Activities involving countries subject to federal sanctions may require licenses from federal agencies.

CUBA: Work with and in Cuba may require an OFAC license and travelers should work with Export Control for appropriate documentation to transport cell phones, laptops, and other items.

RUSSIA: On February 24, the U.S. government imposed severe financial and export control restrictions on Russia and entities supporting the Russian government. These restrictions are likely to change and may affect current or future University collaborations, agreements, research projects. Please contact for guidance if you currently have or anticipate any activities with ties to Russia, including (but not limited to): (1) Collaborating on research or other projects; (2) Shipments;  (3) Financial transactions; and (4) Technology exchanges.

Russian Harmful Foreign Activities Sanctions & Regulations

IRAN & SYRIA: Both Iran and Syria face heavy sanctions and activities involving these countries are likely to require a license, which can take a few months to a year.

The University does not permit travel to Syria.

NORTH KOREA: The University does not support any activities with or in North Korea.

Online Courses in Sanctioned Countries

There are OFAC restrictions related to taking online courses abroad. Licenses to provide a service to sanctioned countries are required under some circumstances. There may also be licensing requirements for software and other items. 

OFAC Licenses - Online Courses in Sanctioned Countries

Subscribe to the UArizona Impact in Action newsletter to receive featured stories and event info to connect you with UArizona's research, innovation, entrepreneurial ventures, and societal impacts.

Subscribe now