How does export control impact travel outside the United States?

Travel outside the United States can trigger the need for a federally issued license(s), depending on the proposed destination, what you plan on taking with you, the nature of the project associated with the travel, and with whom you work.

UA faculty, staff, and students traveling internationally on behalf of UA for business, research, or other purposes are required to register well in advance of their departure ( In addition to obtaining UA approval, the traveler may require a license, license exception/exemption, or other guidance to hand-carry items abroad, access data, interact with certain persons, speak at a conference, conduct research, provide training or other services, or engage in other UA related activities.

See the Export Control resource on international activities for additional guidance.

Subscribe to the UArizona Impact in Action newsletter to receive featured stories and event info to connect you with UArizona's research, innovation, entrepreneurial ventures, and societal impacts.

Subscribe now