In order to rapidly improve our understanding and available control measures for COVID-19, NIDDK is encouraging the submission of applications for Competitive Revisions to active grants to address the following research areas of interest:
- Collection of biosamples that could inform the pathogenesis of COVID-19 associated kidney, gastrointestinal, or metabolic/endocrine diseases.
- Studies to gather data from health care systems and ongoing clinical trials to better understand whether patients with COVID-19 and diseases in the mission of NIDDK have different outcomes based on underlying disease factors or therapies for their condition.
- Studies to identify risk factors that could lead to modification of therapy in high risk individuals such as patients with acute kidney injury (AKI), organ transplantation, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, and other diseases within the mission of NIDDK that are treated with immunomodulators or biologic pathway inhibitors
- Studies to identify novel pathogenic pathways and potential translational targets for the development of kidney, gastrointestinal, endocrine and metabolic diseases associated with COVID-19 infection using relevant in vitro and in vivo studies of the kidney, gastrointestinal or endocrine/metabolism system.
- Pilot clinical studies designed to understand the natural history of COVID-19 related AKI, gastrointestinal or metabolic/endocrine diseases, or to evaluate interventions to prevent or treat COVID-19-induced AKI, digestive disorders, or metabolic/endocrine systems.