Research and Research Project mean any organized program of scientific inquiry that involves a systematic investigation, study, or experiment designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge that is performed at or under the auspices of the University. Research includes non-sponsored research, research fellowship and training programs, and research-related activities in undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral education. It also includes some educational activities that are supported by a research sponsor.
Federal funding agencies indicate that Research can be thought of as:
- "a process to discover new knowledge,"
- "a scientific study of nature that sometimes includes processes involved in health and disease," and/or
- "creative and systematic work undertaken in order to increase the stock of knowledge—including knowledge of humankind, culture and society—and to devise new applications of available knowledge."
Federal funding agencies further indicate that one can consider whether the project includes:
- "a systematic, intensive study directed toward greater knowledge or understanding of the subject being studied, or
- a systematic study directed specifically toward applying new knowledge to meet a recognized need, or
- a systematic application of knowledge to produce useful materials, devices, and systems or methods, or
- development [which] may include designing, developing, and improving prototypes and processes to meet specific requirements."
See: HHS, NCI, NSF, NSF SBIRs & STTRs